There is a place for you at Minnehaha Academy. When you join us, you will join a community of life-long learners in a strong academic program that encourages intellectual curiosity. You will join a community that cares about your success in school and school activities as well as your character. You will amaze yourself with what you can do – in the classroom, on the athletic field and in the arts. You will achieve. And you will be ready to go on to even bigger and better things, in college and in life.
We use block scheduling at the Upper School, which enables our students to get a taste of college and focus more on individual classes each day. The schedule also allows for time periods to, among other things, meet with teachers or participate in activities. Learn more
Students meet weekly with teacher-led advisory groups to discuss any number of topics, including academics and faith, and also engage in small-group activities. Each group stays together for all four years. Learn more
We empower students to develop as leaders, inside and outside the classroom, and have a voice within our community. Students don’t just learn about leadership but also apply leadership in practical situations. Learn more
Clubs & Activities
Every student is involved in some sort of after school activity, club, sport or organization. Most students, in fact, are committed to several. We’re proud to offer an array of options as wide and diverse as much larger schools. Learn more
Our program is academically rigorous, offering more Advanced Placement courses than any other private school in our state. Students are provided the curriculum to meet their academic goals – and challenge them to become problem solvers and deep thinkers. Learn More
The arts are thriving at Minnehaha Academy – and so are the artists! We showcase a variety performing groups and provide extensive offerings for students interested in the visual arts program for students of every age and ability. Learn more
We have 26 varsity sports, with 79% of students participating on at least one athletic team. Our teams make regular appearances in the state tournaments. Learn more
With an eye to the future, a new STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) lab, as well as the renovation of the already existing science classrooms, will help our students be better positioned in these subjects. Learn more
Cultural Field Experience
Cultural Field Experience is an authentic learning experience for students that unfolds over the course of several months and allows them an opportunity to build bridges within our school, neighborhood, and global communities among people from diverse socioeconomic, generational, religious, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds. Learn more
"College admissions are more competitive than ever. The ability to take a variety of STEM courses at the AP level combined with sending experiments to the International Space Station was a unique way to show that I was more than just one of the many well-rounded applicants applying to top universities."
- Alum, Harvard student
86% of Minnehaha Upper School teachers hold advanced degrees.
Our teachers, in collaboration with colleagues and administrators, are free to create and shape their curricula in order to enrich their students’ learning experience.
High School Chemistry Teacher of 2016
Dr. David Tweeten, Upper School Math and Science Teacher, was recognized as the High School Chemistry Teacher of 2016 from the MN Chapter of the American Chemical Society. Dr. Tweeten received this award, given every three years, for his knowledge of chemistry, commitment to research and for providing mentorship and assistance to students outside of the classroom.
Sam Terfa, Minnehaha Academy Upper School Science Teacher and ISS Program Co-coordinator, was selected as a FOX 9 Super Science Teacher Award Winner! The award honors teachers who use science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) within the classroom to inspire area students. Hundreds of teachers were nominated, and a total of nine were selected as winners.
Sam Meyers, Upper School Academic Integration Specialist, and the Digital Citizenship (DC) program he developed at Minnehaha Academy, won the 2015 Private and Independent Education Program Award from the Minnesota Independent School Forum (MISF). MISF each year recognizes a select group of individuals, schools, and/or programs that model outstanding service to students, the school, and the school community.
Upper School Highlights
- 86% of our Upper School Faculty hold advanced degrees
- College acceptance rate for seniors is 100%; students are accepted at more than 175 colleges and universities nationwide
- 18 Advanced Placement courses provide opportunities for earning college credit
- State-of-the-art STEM labs and emerging sciences courses
- 100% of students participate in athletics, arts or other co-curricular activities through 20 performing groups and 26 varsity athletic teams
- Students and faculty represent 30 denominational backgrounds
- Our community is 28% students of color
- Weekly chapel services feature guest speakers, student performers and thought-provoking messages
What Upper School Students Say About Minnehaha Academy
- “The classes are small and give you a one-on-one experience with teachers.”
- “The athletics are of high caliber – we have awesome coaches and school spirit.”
- “The lunches are tasty and fun and Chef J is loud, upbeat, and makes every lunch a party.”
- “The fine arts are wonderful with great plays, performances, musicals and student showcase.”
- “The college counselors are a huge help and a great support system.”
- “All the teachers are helpful and approachable, which enhances and creates a welcome environment.”