Your child has a place at Minnehaha Academy. Here, your child will be set on a path of discovery, guided by passionate teachers who cultivate a joy of learning. Your child will make life-long friends who will continue to have a positive influence as they grow together. And there is a place for you – strong relationships among students, teachers and parents encourage partnership and success.
We are committed to the development of the whole child – academically, emotionally, physically, socially and spiritually. Students in kindergarten through grade 5 embark on a journey that takes them around the world. Each grade focuses on a specific continent, where they learn about its culture, arts, society, politics, people and how that continent fits into a global perspective.
Our kindergartners begin with the basics and ease into the rhythm of the Lower School – while they still enjoy an afternoon nap! One of the highlights for our students is an opportunity to research, write and illustrate a class book on penguins. Learn more
Our first graders dive into deep math concepts of number sense and place value to give them a foundation to become independent problem solvers. Students also study the continent of Europe through speakers, art projects, readings and cap it all off with an English tea party. Learn more
Our second graders stretch themselves as communicators and creators, interviewing people who have lived in Kenya during a unit on Africa and developing games around a concept (money, time, estimation, addition, subtraction) for the Math Carnival. Learn more
Our third graders continue refining their writing skills as they create biographies that require multiple sentence structures and integration of 30+ researched facts. Our caring community is also manifested in their writing sympathy cards for others locally and globally. Learn more
Our fourth graders love exploring our community, as we partner with the Minnesota Zoo on their Sea Otter exhibit and ride bikes to learn more about Minnehaha Falls, Fort Snelling and the Lock and Dam #1. They also dive deeply into a study of North America. Learn more
Our fifth graders thrive in the many opportunities to engage in projects where they explore, create, collaborate, design, problem solve, analyze and present! Students spend the month of November crafting a novel to learn the art of long-form writing. Learn more
"Minnehaha Academy provides a warm and nurturing community, emphasizing academic challenge, leadership, service, and a strong Christian faith. They prepare students to be passionate and confident young adults."
- Parents of Lower, Middle and Upper School children
"Minnehaha Academy has the most amazing teachers and a warm, loving environment, and my children are challenged academically every day."
- Parent of two Lower School children
Lower School Highlights:
- More than 2/3 of our Lower School Faculty hold advanced degrees
- Hands-on STEM experiences in the award-winning Innovation Lab and Science Exploration Center, with an emphasis on 21st Century thinking skills and design processes
- Singapore-based math curriculum, using concrete and pictoral techniques for improving understanding of abstract concepts
- Differentiated reading instruction to ensure every learner is engaged and growing at their level
- Our community is 28% students of color
- Students and faculty represent 30 denominational backgrounds
- Your child will have teachers who specialize in art, music, Spanish, media and physical education
- Weekly chapel service that features music, drama, film and speakers tailored to each age group
- Small classes allow teachers to get to know each student personally and help each child discover his or her unique gifts
- Extended day support will allow your child the opportunity to study, play games and work on projects
Request Admission Information
"I am so glad that Minnehaha is my school! I have a really good teacher. I love recess and lunch, PE, music, Spanish, computer and art. And I love my friends."
- Current Lower School student