Athletics develops character
Minnehaha's athletic tradition and talent produce winning teams under the guidance of coaches who are Christian role models - a fact that gives our students a "character counts" perspective on team sports. Teams and coaches consistently say, "Our faith brings us together and keeps us close. We're very competitive, but win or lose, Christ remains our common bond." Within this environment, students find many opportunities for leadership and making close friends.With 25 varsity sports and as a member of the Independent Metro Athletic Conference (IMAC), the Redhawks regularly compete for conference, section and state titles in many sports. Over 75% of Minnehaha Academy's upper school student body participate in athletics, and 85% of middle school students participate in a sport.
2013 - 2014 Sports Accomplishments
- Over 55 athletes from nearly every Minnehaha sports team received All-Conference designation.
- Football and softball received the Academic Team Gold Award for academic excellence, while 5 individuals received All Academic State Awards.
- Boys’ Cross Country team was Conference Champs and qualified for the State Tournament.
- Girls’ Basketball reached the 2A State Tournament.
- Nordic Skiing sent three participants to the State tournament, and Alpine Skiing sent two.
- Two student athletes were AAA Award Winners; The Boys’ Hockey Coach and one player were selected for Hockey Section 4AA/A Great 8 Team; another was selected to play in the 4AA/A Section tournament, as well as one player nominated for Defenseman of the Year.
- A senior softball player was chosen to the All State second team and the MN All Star Softball team.
- Local media recognized numerous Minnehaha students as Athletes of the Week in their respective sports.
- The spring season concluded with the Boys’ Track team winning the 2014 State Championship.
Exploring the Options We OfferEach level at Minnehaha provides students with a broad selection of extracurricular opportunities throughout the school year, appropriate to their age and development. This section provides an overview for prospective students and parents of what is available.
Athletic Mission Statement
At Minnehaha Academy, our athletic program reflects our commitment to love and serve God with every part of our being – heart, soul, strength, and mind – and to serve others as ourselves.
Believing that athletic competition can teach participants many positive values that cannot always be learned in classroom settings, we are committed to teaching the values of hard work, commitment, dedication and discipline through a strong athletic program. We seek to challenge each individual athlete to perform at his or her maximum level and to grow mentally, spiritually, and physically through individual effort, competition, and teamwork.
Our desire is that our athletes will compete with a level of character, intensity, enthusiasm and sportsmanship that is consistent with the Christian faith.