Minnehaha Academy

Admission Office: 612-728-7722

International Admissions

Minnehaha Academy is a private Christian school serving approximately 800 students in preschool through grade 12. The school has two campuses located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The school is founded on Christian values and provides a comprehensive preschool through grade 12 curriculum with a rigorous college preparatory program. Minnehaha Academy enrolls international students from countries around the world. We value and appreciate the richness that they bring to our community.

An international student is an individual holding a foreign passport. International students living with host families are considered for grades 9 through 12, and are required to have an approved agent. Approved agents will work through the admission process and acts as the contact to Minnehaha Academy. Please contact the admission office for a list of agents. International students living with parents may apply for admission in other grades. All applications must be submitted in full one month prior to the start of the school year.

Admission Criteria
The criteria for admission to Minnehaha Academy are scholastic performance and accomplishments, English language proficiency, emotional maturity and a desire for education emphasizing Christian values. The program is highly selective, admission standards are rigorous, and only fully qualified students are accepted into the program. Generally, students are admitted to grade 9 through 12. The admission process requires the following:

  • A completed application, with a $150 application fee, financial disclosure, and parent and student statements.
  • Recommendations from English and Math teachers (submitted in English).
  • Results of the TOEFL test for English language proficiency.
  • A student writing sample in the student’s handwriting.
  • Transcripts from the student’s current school (submitted in English).
  • Evidence of health insurance, expatriation and repatriation insurance.
  • Personal interview using SKYPE technology following complete submission of application.


**Prospective students should contact an approved agency below:

Echelon Educational Services – Contact [email protected]

AHLI – International Education and Homestay – Inquire here: Student Application

Cambridge Institute – Apply Here: Student Application

**Prospective students from any other country can contact us at [email protected]

Students needing a homestay must work with a homestay agency through the admission process. Those students living with a parent should use the above process. In addition, a homestay family must submit a Power of Attorney form so that they can have access to school information and make health decisions for the student.

Host Family Inquiry

Please contact our Admissions Team regarding tuition and fees for international students.

International students must pay an enrollment fee, which will be applied to their tuition.  Tuition for international students must be paid in full before the beginning of the school year.  The enrollment contract must be signed by the agent if the student is living with a host family.

The following forms must be received prior to the start of school:

  • Enrollment Contract (This will be sent electronically following acceptance.)


International Student Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get an application?
You can download an application from this page. However, students who will need a homestay must initially work through an agency to get the applications.

Does Minnehaha Academy board students or find homestay families?
Minnehaha Academy does not board international students or directly place students in homestays. Some students stay with a parent. Other families contact homestay agencies through which they can be placed in a home. The Admission Office can give you contact information for these agencies.

What are the requirements for guardians or homestay families?
Homestay families work through the agencies and follow all of the agency requirements which we have agreed to. If a student is living with a parent, we will also interview the parent. The homestay family must have a Power of Attorney form signed and on file with us so that we can share information related to the student’s progress in our school. The Power of Attorney must be written to give the guardian the legal authority to make decisions about the student’s health, education and general welfare.

Does the student have to be a Christian to attend Minnehaha Academy?

While most students who attend our school consider themselves Christians, we also admit students who, along with their parents and guardians, are not Christians but are very open to learning more about Jesus Christ and the Bible. These students must be supportive of our mission.

Is there financial aid available for international students?

We are sorry, but there is not financial aid for international students. Tuition must be paid in full at the beginning of the school year.

Does Minnehaha have an ESL or ELL program?

We do not have an English as a Second Language or English Language Learner programs. Because our international students join our American students in all the classes, each student accepted into Minnehaha Academy needs to demonstrate strong abilities in written and spoken English. They demonstrate this knowledge through strong scores on the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) test, as well as a writing sample and personal interview.

Are international students able to participate in athletic programs?

Minnehaha Academy adheres to the Minnesota High School League regulations. An international student living with a host family is only eligible for one year of a pre-varsity sport.

Do students need health insurance to attend Minnehaha Academy?

Yes, all international students must have health insurance. They must also carry expatriation and repatriation insurance. In addition, the health and immunization form must be received prior to the first day of school.

What are the immunization requirements for international students at Minnehaha Academy?

Please refer to these documents for more details on these requirements:

Do you take new international students in the second semester beginning in January?

Generally, all international students are accepted to begin only at the start of an academic year—our fall semester (beginning mid-August). Occasionally, we do accept a few students for the spring semester if they have been in the U.S. schooling system for at least one year, have high grades, and demonstrate excellent written and spoken English skills.

What is the application process for International students?

  1. First, there are documents to complete.
  2. If you need a homestay placement, you should first contact a homestay agency. These contacts can be provided by our Admission Office.
  3. If you will be staying with a relative, complete steps 4-8.
  4. Complete the application documents including student application, parent statement and student statement in student’s own handwriting. Submit with the non-refundable $150 application fee.
  5. Submit the English and Math teacher recommendation forms to your current teachers and have them faxed to (612) 728-7787 or mailed directly to our office. All recommendations must be submitted in English.
  6. Request a copy of official school transcript from your current school and return to our office. All school documents must be submitted in English.
  7. Take the TOEFL test and submit scores to our office.
  8. Submit the writing sample to our office.
  9. Parents should complete the financial disclosure form and return to our office. This step is required by SEVIS to be issued an I20.
  10. The director of admission will schedule an interview with the applicant upon the completion of the application.

When all documents have been received by the Admission Office, a personal interview will be scheduled with the Director of Admission and/or the Principal using SKYPE technology. The guardian family will also be interviewed by the Director of Admission. Final admission decisions will be made by the admission committee as soon as possible. An acceptance or regret letter will be sent to applicant or agency.

What about the I20?

When the enrollment fee and contract are received by the Admission Office, the I20 will be issued. To obtain an F-1 visa, the international student must first be accepted at a SEVIS-approved school, such as Minnehaha Academy.

If you are interested in applying, please contact:

Admission Office
[email protected]