A Vision for Christian Education – 1884-1913
In 1884, Rev. Erik August Skogsbergh had a vision for education that inspired Minnehaha Academy. He believed in the importance of quality education with Christian faith as its center.
The original incorporation from 1905 stated: “The purpose of this institution shall be to furnish young men and women with the essential elements of a liberal education, and to foster the development of character under the personal influence of Christian teachers.”
In 1911, Rev. Skogsbergh and Andrew L. Skoog gathered a group of 11, called the Core of Collectors, who were to raise $100 each toward a new building on the campus.
The goal was $25,000, and they exceeded that figure and broke ground on June 30, 1912. On Monday, Sept. 15, 1913, Minnehaha Academy welcomed its first class of high school students.
Expanding to Lower & Middle School – 1972-1995
Grades 7 and 8 were added in 1972.
In 1981, the land for the South Campus was purchased and a chapel was erected. By 1982, the Lower School served students in Grades 1 through 5. Kindergarten was added in 1985 and preschool in 1995.
Celebrating Minnehaha’s Centennial – 2012
In 2012, Minnehaha Academy celebrated the Centennial with special events and a look back at 100 years of educating students.
Tragic Explosion – 2017
On August 2, 2017, a natural gas explosion destroyed the center portion of the Upper School. It was an explosion that shook the entire building, and it shocked thousands of people who have known, loved, and called Minnehaha home. Upper School students were relocated to a temporary campus in Mendota Heights. Learn more about the events and the rebuild of the school.